Friday, February 25, 2011

Follow Up on Chaka, the African Child Who Required Amputations




As some of you will recall, while recently in Africa I had to perform a very sad operation on a one year old baby. The baby had severe malaria and because it took so long for him to recieve adequate care his fingers and feet died and I had to amputate many of his fingers and do amputations of his lower legs. (See postings under African Hospital in the index to the left of this posting and find "The Saddest Operation I Have Ever Performed")


Chaka felt much better a few days after his operation and now has gained weight and will soon recieve the artificial lower legs from a doctor in the USA.

If you look closely at the photo you will note the partial absence of several of his fingers but each is well healed.

I am so pleased he is alive and doing so well. I will be excited to see him next year and see how he is walking with his articicial legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment