Friday, August 2, 2013

Diabetes can be 'Cured'!





Type 2 Diabetes is "CURED" in 24% of patients who have bariatric surgery.  

These patients  have maintained a Hb A1c below 6, a fasting glucose of less than 100 for more than 5 years while being off all diabetic medications. In short, These patients no longer have any evidence of diabetes!

This amazing news was reported in the Surgery News of the American College of Surgeons Surgery in July 2013 by Dr. Brethauer from the Cleveland Clinic. He reported on long term follow up of 217 patients who had had bariatric surgery after years of struggling with obesity and type 2 diabetes.

Another 26% of patients were greatly improved off diabetic medicines but dis not meet the more stringent requirements of the first group of patients.

A total of 56% of patients where not on any diabetic medications 6 years ofter their operation.

Which patients did best?

1). Patients who had a gastric bypass operation (instead of a gastric band or gastric sleeve).

2). Patients who had diabetes for less than 5 years prior to surgery.

3). Patients who lost most weight after surgery.

Dr, Brethauer's conclusion: "Bariatric surgery can a significant and sustainable remission of type 2 diabetes and other metabolic risk factors in obese patients and should be considered early in the course of the disease."

I wholeheartedly agree. If you are diagnosed with diabetes your next plan should be to get rid of it as soon as possible. If you are like 90% of diabetics and are at least 50 to 75 lbs overweight you meet criteria for surgery and can often 'cure' the disease before it gets worse! Decide you will not put up with it and contact your bariatric surgeon today. What are you waiting for?

If you are one of the very many people that have their diabetes resolved or improved after bariatric surgery please spread the word of your amazing result and to as many people as possible and help me change our country's understanding. Type 2 diabetes is not inevitable but preventable, treatable and often curable.  Join me. We have our work cut out for us so let's get to it.  




15 comments:

  1. Please do not doubt what Dr. Myers is telling you in his blog - HE KNOWS! Almost 3 years ago he performed gastric bypass for me. I was insulin dependent and my A1C was 11.9. Within 3 weeks I was able to stop taking all my diabetic medicine. I was on 3 shots of Byetta and 2 shots of insulin per day. I also had to take 5 Metformin tablets per day. Almost 3 years later my A1C is 5.7 and I have never felt better in my life. My back problems are MUCH better, my sleep apnea is GONE and my cholesterol is normal. I can't tell you how grateful and pleased I (and my family) have become thanks to this wonderful Doctor and his staff. DO NOT DOUBT WHAT HE'S TELLING YOU. Dr. Myers, thank you again for giving me back what life should be like. I miss seeing your wonderful smile and hearing your kind words.
    Sincerely,
    Pat Dattilo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, Thanks for reenforcing the message. You are another great example of bariatric surgery resolving diabetes! It is great for others to hear this from someone that has experienced this amazing change for the better.

    Another bariatric surgery patient sent me an email this last weekend about her "miraculous" transformation to being diabetes free after previously having type 2 diabetes for 16 years.

    Your example will help to change how we think about diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post it shows some information and best advice I needs for a blog. Thanks and keep on posting. Please visit David Alessi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today Bariatric sleeve surgery in India has become increasingly popular as it has various advantages over any other weight loss surgeries.manipalinternationalpatientcare Hospitals is one of renowned health care providers in India.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hi, We're looking for kidney donors, Very urgently. B+ve , O+ve, O+ and A+ve with Valid passports for the amount of 89,00,000 Rs and age should be more than 20 years.Interested persons contact our hospital via e-mail: davegrayhospital1@gmail.com website : davegrayhospital.weebly.com life line : +91-7760020981 Whatsaap - +91-80507-736-51

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this useful content, Good to know about new things here.
    Best Surgical Care

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blog is literally the BEST Diabetes Remedy blog. I read it everyday. I'm also grateful I found click here ===> BEST Diabetes Remedy , it help me a lot to diabetes remedy. Hope this method to help others too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bariatric surgery is a perfect option for weight loss. Dr. Anmol Ahuja is advanced laparoscopic bariatric surgeon at Delhi Laparoscopic Surgery Clinic in Delhi Noida. You can consult with them and take bariatric surgery in affordable price than other country in India.
    Robotic Bariatric Surgery in Delhi Noida

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Valuable information , Click to now More About Bariatric Surgeon in Delhi

    ReplyDelete