Monday, June 17, 2013

Doing Great Six Years After Bariatric Surgery


I recently received this note from Joanna Baker who had her gastric bypass 6 years ago. She she has some great words of wisdom and encouragement. Here is what she wrote:


Dr. Myers,


Now
Before
I just was having one of those times of reflection, counting my blessings, and you and your program are near the top of my list. I am so grateful at your dedication to good medicine, safe practices, and stellar patient outcomes.

I can't believe that it's been 6 years since I started this journey with you! My six-year surgery anniversary is in September, and my BMI is still 25 (down from 45).

My best advice for those considering or just having had weight-loss surgery--allow the surgery and recovery to give you the precious gift of the time and physiologically forced discipline you need to recover from dependence on sugar.

Patients who are considering or who have just had weight-loss surgery, especially bypass, no doubt understand the need to avoid sugar, particularly processed sugar, and particularly in the absence of fiber (which is why I'm so grateful for fiber-rich fruits)!

Don't ever go back! Don't dabble. Don't toe dangle. Read labels. Try not to consume anything with more than 5 grams of sugar per serving. There it is. The rules I live by.

Do I miss sugar? No! (Though I'm sure results will vary patient to patient.) I am sure that this is why I have not struggled with keeping the weight off. I'm also sure that if I started playing games with myself trying to find the "safe" amount of sugar I could consume, my body would remember "the good old days" of sugar-coma bliss, start building a "tolerance level" for sugar, and I would end up back where I started more than 6 years ago--a slave to my sugar addiction.

I follow the other rules too. I don't use straws, I don't drink carbonated beverages (OK--this one is really hard for me. I genuinely miss Diet Coke, especially on a hot summer day! Still, it's not worth it.), I eat slowly, and genuinely enjoy the colors, flavors, aromas, and textures of my meals, as well as some really good company as often as possible (aka, family dinner)! I eat several small meals a day. (You will rarely find me without a baggie containing a variety of nuts and Kashi Heart-to-Heart cereal in my purse!)

I am so grateful for the time and discipline that by-pass surgery gave me. It's the best decision I ever made for my health and quality of life. I would never go back!

With warm, fond regards and much gratitude,

Joanna Baker

5 comments:

  1. Hey Stephan Myers I like your Image Representation.
    what a great changes after bariatric surgery. i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting such inspiring blog for those who are scared of Bariatric surgery. Everything heals with time and such successful operations claims good proof.
    https://bit.ly/3a5AuCv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this wonderful information also check out Sleeve Gastrectomy in Islamabad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this Information also visit my site pleas Bariatric Surgery in Islamabad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bariatric Surgery Cost in India - Bariatric surgery in India is an increasingly popular option for those struggling with obesity. The country provides a diverse range of procedures like gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy at affordable rates. With world-class medical facilities and skilled surgeons, India has become a premier destination for effective weight loss interventions. Also visit: Top Medical Tourism Company in India

    ReplyDelete