Saturday, March 24, 2012

Coughing at Night




This week I saw two patients in the office who complained of reflux and coughing when they laid down at night. Both had had an adjustable gastric band placed a few years ago and had not had a recent adjustment to there band.

Their symptoms are related to the band being too tight causing back up of saliva in their esophagus. When they lay down the pooling of saliva can overcome the ability of the muscle at the upper end of the esophagus to keep the saliva out of the throat.

When the contents of the esophagus come up into the throat it they can come in contact with the vocal cords and cause coughing. Occasionally this will aspiration of these contents into the lungs and cause pneumonia.

This problem is usually rectified by taking some fluid out of the band.
In both cases this immediately relieved the symptoms in both of these individuals and they were able to drink water comfortably.

Although this solved the immediate problem, band slippage could be the reason this has only recently developed.

If the problem recur rs with or without placing more fluid into the band the patient should be investigated with a special X-ray such as an upper GI or a CT scan to determine whether slippage has occurred.

If the band has been forced to slip down further on the stomach the band may have to be repositioned with another laparoscopic operation. Hopefully this will not be the case for either of these individuals and they will be able to avoid another operation. I will be seeing each of them in the office again in a few weeks for follow up.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you



    Gastric Band Surgery

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if I could do it but each time I saw success stories in losing weight I became more determined to do it it's only that I don't know how to start.I have heard something about a formula that will give you a gastric bypass effect but no surgery by Roca Labs, is it true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything better than using diest pills or following weight loss program? Beacause if there is, it will always best to choose the natural way of losing weight or using any tool for lose weight that are made from 100% natural ingredients right? Gastric bypass? I don't think so... It will just put our life in danger but I would like to share what I saw from this link - youtube.com/user/RocaLabsReviews where you will get a gastric bypassalternative...NO SURGERY!..sounds interesting...will do more research about it and let you guys know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was considering gastric bypass surgery but with all its risk and complications. I think everyone should have a healthier alternative to the procedure. Roca Labs is also cheaper and safer to gastric bypass surgery. It gives the same effect as gastric bypass surgery and losing weight the natural way is much better for long term health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hy, I had a bariatric surgery a couple of years ago at Griffin Hospital in Connecticut,and while it did help me to lose weight - I actually lost 131 lbs, I can't say I remember having problems with coughing and reflux while laying down.

    ReplyDelete