Sunday, March 13, 2011

Diabetes Reversed by Bariatric Surgery as Viewed by Dr. Myers, Assistant Mike Palasek, RN, CRNFA


Mike Palasek. RN has been working with me as the surgical assistant for over 10 years. He is great help and has helped me with every bariatric operation that I have performed and that is over 1,000 operations. Mike has a “bird’s eye view” of how our diabetic patients do after surgery. He sees each patient after surgery in the office shortly before I see them and records their medicines and how they are doing with their weight and glucose readings. He often speaks to prospective patients who attend our Fresh Start Educational Seminars before I start my part of the presentation. I have heard him say, “I have been a nurse for over thirty years. When I first started nursing I had no idea we would be operating on people to improve their medical problems such as diabetes and high blood pressure. When I was first a nurse I gave insulin for diabetes but no one ever got better and off the insulin injections. We gave pills for high blood pressure but no one ever got off of their blood pressure pills. For me, as a nurse, it is very satisfying because instead of just managing these and other medical problems in our patients we are actually seeing these problems resolve. Now I see people getting off insulin and other diabetic medicines and it is not uncommon for patients to no longer need any medicines for diabetes. Patients who needed 3 or 4 diabetic medicines or are on an insulin pump before surgery are no longer on any of these medicines and they are no longer taking any insulin. It is surprising but we often see patients that are taking 70 or 100 or even more units of insulin every day prior to surgery taking no diabetic medicine or insulin at all with normal blood sugars. As a nurse, that is really rewarding.”

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to say that I am one of your patients who went from taking 2 injections of Byetta (20 units), 2 injections of insulin (135 units) and 5 metformin pills a day to absolutely NO medications now. My surgery was October 5, 2010 and I haven't had a glucose reading over 92 since the surgery. My blood pressure is normal and I went from taking 2 Crestor pills a day to none. The surgery has truly changed my life and I can't thank Mike and Dr. Myers enough. When they told me I might not have to take diabetes meds after surgery I was afraid to believe it but it's TRUE. I feel great and am so greatful to you both - THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, i am so happy you have done so well. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete