Monday, May 31, 2010

A Memorial Day Tribute



I friend of mine told me this true story yesterday and I wanted to share it with you as a tribute to all the men and women who have served in our armed forces and have fought and often died for the freedom we continue to enjoy in America.


My friend was teaching in the Ukraine several years ago while it was still part on the Soviet Union. It was very cold that February day and several street musicians and homeless people had taken refuge from the cold in the subway. As my American friend and his Ukrainian guide entered the subway one of the street musicians began to play the Star Spangled Banner.

My friend was shocked that he was so easily recognized as an American so he asked his guide, “If I changed into Ukrainian clothes do you think I would still be recognized as an American?” The guide quickly responded ”Yes, of course.” When he was asked why the guide said, ”Because you walk like you have had 200 years of freedom.” My friend will never forget that reply. It brought tears to his eyes even as he shared the story with me.


I what to thank my father, Dan Myers, for serving in the Navy during the Korean Conflict and my nephew, Jordan Boucier, for serving in Afghanistan and all of the wonderful men and women that serve in our military. Today I would especially like to remember all those that have given their lives that we may continue to walk like we have had “200 years of Freedom”.

On this memorial day let us not forget the immeasurable cost of that freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment