Thursday, April 1, 2010

Can numbness, tingling and weakness be symptoms of a nutritional deficiency?


Yes. Although there are other possible causes of these symptoms such as multiple sclerosis, strokes and other brain or spinal cord problems, vitamine and mineral deficiencies can cause these symptoms.

I saw a patient in my office this week who had not been back to see me for regular visits because she “felt fine” and did not feel she needed to follow up with me. This was despite me explaining to each patient that they need to continue to get regular evaluations to avoid nutritional deficiencies.

Unfortunately she was sent back to me by her neurologist because she had developed symptoms of numbness and tingling in her legs.

I ordered several lab tests including vitamin B1, B6, B12, copper and zinc levels as well as a CBC and a complete metabolic profile to find out what might be causing the problem. However, this gives me an opportunity to review some vitamin and mineral deficiencies that are known to cause neurologic problems if vitamin and mineral supplements are not taken to prevent these problems.

A gastric bypass operation also bypassed the first part of the small intestine called the duodenum which helps to absorb the B vitamins and minerals such as iron, calcium and copper.

If a gastric bypass patient does not take a daily multivitamin that contains vitamin B1, also called thiamine, a thiamine deficiency can occur resulting in confusion, unsteadiness and weakness numbness of the legs. This can occur after several weeks or a few months of not taking the vitamins. If this would happen urgent intervention is needed with replacement of this vitamin with an IV directly into the blood stream as well as with treatment by mouth. If this is treated promptly it is likely that these symptoms will improve rapidly.

After several years of not getting enough vitamin B12 after a gastric bypass can result in visual changes, numbness and painful tingling and weakness of the legs and can cause anemia. Many people including women that are menstruating need to take supplemental Vitamin B12 in addition to the multivitamin each day.

Also, we also need a small amount of the mineral copper each day to meet our body’s needs and to avoid symptoms that are similar to vitamin B12 deficiency. This only happens after several years of not getting enough copper. Usually we get enough of this mineral in our diet. However if someone is taking Zinc it make absorbing enough copper more difficult. Also denture paste contains Zinc and could get in the way of absorbing enough copper if a person has had a gastric bypass.

Having discussed these issues it is important to understand that these are very infrequent problems and can be avoided by having your vitamin levels checked at least once a year, taking a multivitamin and any other supplements as directed and keeping your follow up appointments.

Want to make a comment or ask your question? Click on the word ”comments” at the end of this posting.

Want to have new postings I make to this blog sent free and automatically to your email? It takes less than 30 seconds. 1). Enter your email address where requested on the left side of this blog.2) Click on “subscribe” and follow directions to prevent spam.3). Click on “Complete Subscription Request”. It’s just that easy! Your email will not be shared or used for any other contact.

8 comments:

  1. hi doctor i have done a Laparoscopic sleeve surgery 10 months ago and for the last few months i feel numbness on my back side of shoulder can u please tell me what wrong with me. Thank you . Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That location is very unusual and I doubt that it is worrysome. I would suggest you speak with your primary care doctor since it is probably not directly related to your gastric sleeve operation. I hope you are otherwise doing well after your operation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am deciding between sleeve and gastric bypass surgery. I have a BMI of 42, no diabetes or HTN. I had stage one breast cancer 18 months ago and radiation but am cancer free. I suffer from arthrits back,knees and neck.My knee becomes very painful and is not reponding to cortisone or other injectables.I take 800 mg of Ibuprofen 1-3x day. I also take percoset for this pain and for migraines as needed. I am worried that I will be unsatisfied with weight loss with sleeve as I already restric calories to 1000 per day. I am concened that gastric bypass will leave me with nothing to help the pain in my joints. Which procedure would you reccomend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In discussing these issues, it is important to understand that these are very rare problem, avoid vitamin levels checked at least once a year to take a variety of vitamins and supplements any other instructions and to maintain follow-up appointment.

    bariatric surgery

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had bariactric surgery (the sleeve) on January 16, 2012. I now have numbness in my left leg from my knee up to my hip. It is very painful and sometimes wakes me from a dead sleep with electrical shocks or it sometimes feels like hot pins and needles sticking me. Or I feel a burning sensation especially, when I sit or stand for long periods of time. What can I do to relieve this pain? I understand it is very common after surgery. If so, you would think with all the technology we have these days that this could be prevented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had bypass surgery 3 years ago, and have developed what seems to be Ramsay hunt syndrome with loss of hearing in my right ear. I also have some numbness on the left side of my face too. Could this be a vitamin deficiency? I admit I don't always take the b12 but take every other supplement including vit D. Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a sleeve done in 2007 and now have numbness in feet and hands. The doctor here cannot find cause. I am taking multiple vitamin and mineral plus extra b-12. Any direction would be helpful. Doctor put me on Lyrica. It does help me sleep.

      Delete
  7. I had bariactric surgery June 19th 2013 August 14 I lost the strength in my legs and hands
    I can not stand up on my own my blood work comes back good the bariactric doctor says he's never seen anything like this in 10 years . Has any one lose experienced the same thing. Please help

    ReplyDelete